'Houses are but badly built boats so firmly aground that you cannot think of moving them. They are definitely inferior things, belonging to the vegetable not the animal world, rooted and stationary, incapable of gay transition. The desire to build a house is the tired wish of man content thenceforward with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting-place'. - Arthur Ransome





'For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my allotted time. I can remain on shore, paralysed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze.'
-Richard Bode



Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Mooloolaba

What a different carrying 500litres of diesel in the rear cockpit can make, and Kiella was not a happy little vegemite. On Tuesday 13, after a farewell and welcome BBQ courtesy of Gill and Bob, we left Raby Bay.Such wonderful folks you met and nothing seems to be too much, even the gift of a donger to quieten down all the fish that we are meant to catch. After 7 days in Brisbane it was nice to get back on the water, with a stiff SE and a quartering beam sea , it only seemed like yesterday that we were surfing down all those waves.. Our stop was Mooloolaba and with all the Trans Tasman Solo yachts coming in, was good timing. The winner by 2 ½ days, Bruce Arms worked on and helped build FA, so Bill and Sandy spent some time with him and his entourage .It was interesting to hear how one can just keep on racing across from New Zealand with little or no sleep for 6 or more days. He and his wife Susan have also been heavily involved in getting Jessica Watson to the place she is in. The daily or more as is necessary talks, to keep her up to date with the weather patterns and her general well being has given them both lots of pleasure. Tonight’s conversation was about how to get her in safely and in good health so close to the finish. These people just volunteer their time and past skills, and are prepared to past them on freely. I am writing this part at 30 minutes past midnight as a boat is in trouble or should I say the skipper is, and Ian along with Bruce has gone out with FA to help. Tomorrow or should I say today our plans will have changed. Aren’t we lucky?

1 comment:

  1. Goodness what an interesting story. Please fill us in and if possible use paragraphs as it is easier to follow your very interesting stories. Also, I am passing on a request that you please put this URL on your Facebook wall so that other people can follow it.
    Stay safe and keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete