'Houses are but badly built boats so firmly aground that you cannot think of moving them. They are definitely inferior things, belonging to the vegetable not the animal world, rooted and stationary, incapable of gay transition. The desire to build a house is the tired wish of man content thenceforward with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting-place'. - Arthur Ransome





'For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my allotted time. I can remain on shore, paralysed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze.'
-Richard Bode



Friday, April 23, 2010

Brampton to Magnetic Island

Brampton Island, by the state of their jetty had suffered from the recent cyclone. We dropped anchor close in with plans to walk around it the next day .The weather pattern was still 20 to 25 kts. SE gusting to 30 mid afternoon, a lay day was very welcome. If there had been a wet T shirt competition at the end of the 3 hour walk, I would have won it, as everyone else took a jacket except me. The humidity was still high and in hind sight glad I didn’t. The sight of 4 bedraggled walkers going the resort back to their boats caused a few comments.
These 0600 starts are becoming too familiar as we set the alarm at 0530 so that we can get a coffee and some cereal. The anchorage for the evening is Butterfly Bay at the top of Whitsunday Island. Here you can pick up a buoy as anchoring is not allowed in some parts due to the damage they cause to the coral. Overcast sky’s made looking around not as good as in the past; but Ian had a swim and the first lesson for me on how to use the outboard. The wind funnels down the inlet and with Kiella being swung this way and that and the running over the large buoy, better nights we all have had.
It was great to see first light as Cape Upstart here we come. This area has some homes around the bay which I think where all squatters originally. The idea of dropping the pick around lunch time and after the early starts, nanna naps are very welcome.
Our fuel situation was getting low so a planned stop over in Townsville to fill up was needed. Ringing around we found that Cairns were 8 cents cheaper so just enough was popped in to get us there on Sunday. We are in Horseshoe Bay this evening which is on Magnetic Island.
Tomorrow should see us at Dunk, well maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment