'Houses are but badly built boats so firmly aground that you cannot think of moving them. They are definitely inferior things, belonging to the vegetable not the animal world, rooted and stationary, incapable of gay transition. The desire to build a house is the tired wish of man content thenceforward with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting-place'. - Arthur Ransome





'For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my allotted time. I can remain on shore, paralysed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze.'
-Richard Bode



Thursday, April 15, 2010

Mooloolaba to Pancake Creek

What an adventure the boys had. The story goes that the catamaran Nitro and his solo skipper had endured auto pilot problems and with the general fatigue involved in hand steering and maybe lack of water, he was is in a wee spot of bother.
They found him in a shipping channel back in Moreton Bay. With coaxing from his cousin Bruce, they finally got him to follow FA to the finish line. The outboard then would not start and one could say that was when the fun really started. Needless to say he finally made it back into the boat harbour on tow from FA. At 0445 Bill and Ian crawled back into their bunks and Sandy and I turned off the radio and all slept for a couple of hours. We kept to our plan of leaving Mooloolaba that morning but a little later.
Fifty nautical miles on saw us anchored for a few hours behind Double Island Point, before crossing Wide Bay bar. This bar is said to be amongst the most dangerous on the east coast. The past weather patterns had been favorable so we had a good crossing considering. Twenty knots surfing in; down to 4.6 meters under the keel. It took 16 minutes and needless to say the tomatoes got another soaking. Why am I persisting with this project to have fresh tomatoes on board, heavens know? An early night with rain showers, thankfully to wash off some of the salt.
At 0600 we up anchored and are heading to Bustard Head. Last time we visited this lovely place we had Que on board , after going into Pancake Creek with is at the base of the lighthouse there we attempted a walk.. Nothing more will be said on that matter except I hope Ian’s navigation skills are better on water than on land. A lay day is planned, but who knows?

.

No comments:

Post a Comment