'Houses are but badly built boats so firmly aground that you cannot think of moving them. They are definitely inferior things, belonging to the vegetable not the animal world, rooted and stationary, incapable of gay transition. The desire to build a house is the tired wish of man content thenceforward with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting-place'. - Arthur Ransome





'For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my allotted time. I can remain on shore, paralysed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze.'
-Richard Bode



Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Hunter River

Kiella and crew are safely anchored in the Hunter River: enjoying the spectacular scenery and recuperating after a bumpy passage. Chris recovered particularly well and had the rods out within minutes of calm water.

Unfortunately, one of Kiella's alternators has ceased. The problem was quickly diagnosed with the lucky chance meeting of an electrician and a replacement alternator is being sent from Brisbane to Darwin, to Wyndham and then by sea-plane to a beach where Kiella can finally pick it up. This route has already been tried and tested by 'Foreign Affair' when they needed a replacement part a month ago and the crew of Kiella has faith in its safe delivery. A little more caution needs to be exercised with only one functioning motor as this can affect the performance of the boat and of course the all important fridge!

Kiella will collect the alternator in a fortnight or so and the crew has already adjusted to one motor.

The crew has been fortunate enough to view some more ancient Indigenous art and are enjoying all of the opportunities to explore.

Love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment